Thursday, December 31, 2009

Fun with Family in Utah

Aren't digital cameras great? Except of course when you forget to use it or you leave it at home instead of taking it on vacation . . . Oops! Our trip to Utah I'm sorry to say is terribly devoid of pictures, this post in particular has none, but I did manage to steal some of the wedding and Christmas for the next post.

Our trip to Utah was an interesting one. I arrived on the 15th with the kids and Sergio on the 17th, supposedly to help prepare for Michelle's wedding on the 23rd, but since we are more bother than help with two kids we hardly saw any of Sergio's family until the wedding, and we all got sick during the length of our stay.

GREAT GRANDMA & GRANDPA ROUNDY
On the bright side that gave Sergito and Emma plenty of time to bond with great grandma and great grandpa Roundy who were super sweet to us as always letting us stay at their house, borrow their car, and even play with Sergito in the snow. Between the snowball fight and sliding down the small hill on their front lawn, Sergito was in heaven. He was also grandma's special helper for wrapping presents, which made him feel very important. They got in a few uno games, and both Sergito and Emma fell in love with their closet of toys in the basement, their collection of classic Disney movies, and of course the treats that were never lacking. Life doesn't get much better than that!

MISCHIEF
Apparently vacation does not mean vacation from mischief. While at great grandma and grandpa Roundy's house, I tried to sneak a few minutes on the computer one day while the kids were watching a movie downstairs -- or so I thought. Then suddenly I heard a big crash in the front room. I ran out to find Emma and Sergito standing next to a fallen Christmas tree. Thankfully they were next to it rather than under it. Unfortunately the decorations (not shatterproof) were not so lucky. I ran over barefoot to start cleaning up before the kids could cut themselves and of course cut my own feet in the process. When I asked Sergito whether it was an accident or on purpose he quietly stared at the floor and said, "on purpose". Grandma was out running errands at the time and Grandpa, being the great sport that he is told Sergito that this could be their little secret and Grandma would never have to know, all we had to do was clean it up before she got back! Since I wasn't part of the deal I told, and Grandma was exceptionally gracious about the whole thing.

EMMA
Our Social Butterfly
Emma had a great time meeting new family members left and right. One time I came out of the bedroom to find her marching into the family room and plopping herself down right in the lap of one of my cousins she had never met before: You look nice, I think I'll just make myself at home.

The Power of Words
Emma's vocabulary grew rapidly during our trip. It didn't take her long to discover the power of words. She quickly realized the benefits of being able to walk up to any adult who happened to be in the house and saying things like, "juice" "milk" or even better "soda" or "treat" and if she managed to say them out of mommy and daddy's earshot all the better because she generally got whatever she asked for whereas mommy and daddy have a terrible habit of denying her her every want and desire.

ANA MARIA & RYAN
We got to spend time with Ana Maria and Ryan which was fun. Sergito especially enjoyed playing pool with uncle Ryan. I was trying to get Sergito to pronounce Ana Maria's name correctly, but in the end all I achieved was him giving up and referring to them as, "uncle Ryan and that girl". Sorry Ana Maria, you may be the blood relative, but you're name's just too hard to say.

No comments: