Sunday, December 15, 2013

Happy Birthday Sergito and Other Things

Clark's Letter to Santa, note his rather accurate portrait:)

 SNOW DAY #2

Sergito shoveling the neighbor's driveway. It was his idea and he insisted on doing the whole thing by himself. Anxious to encourage such a charitable act, I gave him the big shovel and I used the little kiddie one on our driveway. . . . not the most comfortable way to shovel snow.

Clark determined to be part of the action followed Sergito, but was more interested in watching than shoveling

After shoveling snow we went out to watch "Frozen" at the movies. Clark found these glasses at home and wore them the whole time we were out. I think he felt like quite the little dandy!

 SERGITO'S BIRTHDAY

Sergito's birthday celebrations began on Tuesday the 10th when daddy took him to Indianapolis to see the Heat play the Pacers. He got an NBA game this year instead of a party.

On his actual birthday, Saturday he went to his first basketball practice and despite the fact that he ended up in a different group than his friends, he had plenty of fun and came away feeling like quite the success. On the way home he was telling his friend, "I  am a really good player. . . I think I'm like the best player in my group. If you were on my team Chase, we would beat everyone!" After questioning him about a couple other kids in his group who were at least as good as (and let's be honest, probably better than) him, he conceded, "Yeah, they're pretty good too."
Self-confidence is definitely not an issue with him, perhaps we should try focusing on humility.
Sergito's excitement outside the arena

Showing off his Heat shirt for all the Pacer fans to see!

His cake on his actual birthday

 SERGIO'S TRIP

Meanwhile dad took a business trip close to LA and he got to see Kevin, Diana, and the girls while he was there. Kevin took it upon himself to give Sergio a good tour of the hot spots in the city.
Chinese Theater
The ceiling inside the theater

The Spaceship Endeavor

Natalia, Jessica, y Monica


CLARK'S BIG BOY WEEK

We’ve had a long and tedious time teaching Clark how to use the bathroom like a big boy, but this week he has proudly succeeded in being 95% accident free!! Along with this success he has been very anxious to “be good”. . . .at the Dr. office, at the dentist, at Sergito’s basketball practice he would repeatedly check with me over and over whether or not he was being good. One must never underestimate the power of a good incentive . . . a sticker after the Dr. visit, a toy from the treasure chest at the dentist, or the promise of Sergito’s birthday cake later in the day.
Dr. Visit
Right before taking Emma to see Dr. Habel, Clark stubbed his toe on the stairs at home. He was determined that he too needed to see Dr. Habel so he could make his toe better. I tried to convince him that nothing could be done for a stubbed toe, but his determination was enduring. He mentioned it repeatedly on the car ride over, he informed the receptionist, and right after the nurse about his need to show Dr. Habel his toe so that he could make it better. So, I told him that if he took off his boots and socks and was extra good, that MAYBE Dr. Habel would look at it. Clark was on his best behavior and Dr. Habel indulged him by examining it closely. He even shone a light on it to make sure it would be ok. Pacified, Clark ceased mentioning it for at least a full 5 minutes, but he was sure to tell the receptionist on the way out that Dr. Habel saw his toe and made it ALL better.
The Dentist
We also went to the dentist this week (Sergito, Emma, and Clark). One would think that it would not be something to look forward to, but my kids burst into the office full of excitement, happy to be there. I felt the need to respond to the questioning glances by explaining that my kids are in the minute percentage of the population who find going to the dentist EXTREMELY exciting. I attribute it to the TV they get to watch while they get their teeth cleaned, and the treasure chest at the end.
It was especially amusing to watch Clark this time. He was so excited that he wouldn’t stop talking, which is of course a bit of a complication when people are trying to put their fingers in your mouth. He also soon discovered that the hygienist’s gloves were flavored, which resulting in him licking her fingers to get another taste of the “orange gloves”. I tried really hard not to laugh, to avoid encouraging him, but I had a hard time of it.
My little buddy is growing up fast, but clearly we’ve been skipping too many naps lately, because there’s still only so much one can take.

Clark passing out in his room when I sent him to put his pjs on and to pick out some bedtime books. Never got to the books. I still had to pick up Emma from Girl Scouts and it was the same night Sergito and Sergio went to Indianapolis, but he managed to sleep through getting dragged in and out of the car and back up to his bed.
This was tonight . . . at least this time he got far enough to pick out the books, just not to finish reading them. 

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

Sergito one morning at breakfast, "I love these milkshakes. You gotta taste it Emma! You'll feel the LOVE OF LIFE!!!"
I had no idea my milkshakes could inspire such passion until now.

No comments: