Motherhood can at times be frustrating. The other day I was sitting on the sofa, after the kids were in bed, in front of the Christmas tree looking at scattered toys, items of clothing and other things that littered the floor, wondering how a room could get so messy when it had been spotless only a few hours earlier. And then a funny thing happened, instead of getting overwhelmed, I started to realize that there will come a day when Sergio and I will have the house to ourselves. Even before then, there will come a day when our kids will be older and more able to pick up after themselves. At first it sounded like something to look forward to and I began to make a mental list:
There will come a day . . .
When little finger prints stop appearing on the walls and windows minutes after I've cleaned them
When I can clean the house in the morning and at night it will still be clean
When Christmas has become a little less magical
When escaping and running through the house naked in the middle of a diaper change has lost its excitement (of course that probably won't happen until after he's potty trained . . . )
When naming Emma's turtle "pickle juice" no longer sets the whole car into a fit of laughing hysterics
When her favorite color will no longer be pink
When Sergito and Emma no longer climb into Clark's crib every morning to keep him happy
When there are no more noses to wipe or diapers to change
When Clark will stop calling all action figures Batman, and actually learn the different names
When I won't have to worry about Clark sucking his thumb raw
When they stop running to their bedrooms to get a bedtime song
When Emma no longer dances in the streets
When Clark stops pounding his chest like a gorilla
When wrestling with daddy has ceased to be the ultimate enjoyment
When Clark stops getting excited about sticking half his body into the washing machine to help me get out the laundry
When Sergito will no longer be around to remind me of things (what will I do without him?)
When you have to wait for Halloween to justify costumes
When I can sit in my house and listen to silence . . .
That's when I realized that I am grateful for the messes, for the fingerprints on the walls, for the tantrums, and the fighting, I am grateful for the days when I feel like I'm going to lose my mind, because it means I have the blessing of children, and they joy that they bring. I only hope I can stop often enough to remember that I don't want that day to come, at least not yet. I want to enjoy them, their laughter, their hugs and wet kisses, and the funny way they say things. God has granted me three beautiful gifts, and I must not be ungrateful for them.



3 comments:
I loved reading this. Your last comments made me cry. Your children are beautiful and I know they are being taught well. I am thankful for families like yours.
I loved this post Adriana. Lots of memories! You have a gorgeous family!
The highlight of my kids life is also wrestling with dad. Funny.
Miss you and wish I could meet your kids! One day...
Thanks for the reminder, beautiful cousin. We are blessed to have such full lives:) I miss you. Will you be in Utah this summer at all?
x
Post a Comment